Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

Gentle exercise

2»

Comments

• @Bender said:

So that’s what the yoga stretching of the body does is it? Exercises all the little non-obvious muscles that help your skeleton and cartilage keep their structural integrity?

In my experience, yoga stretches help more with building and maintaining mobility, flexibility and resilience, this is also important, especially as you get older.

I used free weights to target small muscles and you can literally start feeling them working individually as you engage them (soreness lol), and it was (for me) very rewarding to get this new awareness of how and when each gets involved. And yes, everything is supposed to work together to support your skeleton. Many people concentrate on larger muscles as they're easier to develop and more visible, but imbalances can cause further issues.

Oh! Is that what people mean when they talk about “the core”?

All the muscles around your middle, back and front. Vanity dictates them to be visible, but you can have a small layer of fat on top of them and they do the job just as well.

Man, that quote was messy 🤣

You can edit the discussion (first post) to allow tangents if you want and I'll drop messing with the spoilers 😉

🤔 hmmm... I don’t know: does the anatomy of the human body count as a tangent to the subject of exercise?
    So long as it’s focussed on “how not to inadvertently create future problems”... 😉

• @Bender said:
    Isometric exercises are also essential - something like this (there are many plank variations and the longer you maintain it, the more it burns):

And this is one of the most complete exercises engaging both the core and the back, and if you do different sets with different weights, you will engage different muscles differently. That was a mouthful 😳

https://sworkit.com/exercise/dumbbell-push-up-with-rotation

Ah: so this is the sort of thing you’d recommend me adding in as soon as my body has adjusted to an initial regime, to keep everything nicely balanced?

• BenderBender Citizen
    edited January 2021

@Karamazov said:

@Bender said:

So that’s what the yoga stretching of the body does is it? Exercises all the little non-obvious muscles that help your skeleton and cartilage keep their structural integrity?

In my experience, yoga stretches help more with building and maintaining mobility, flexibility and resilience, this is also important, especially as you get older.

I used free weights to target small muscles and you can literally start feeling them working individually as you engage them (soreness lol), and it was (for me) very rewarding to get this new awareness of how and when each gets involved. And yes, everything is supposed to work together to support your skeleton. Many people concentrate on larger muscles as they're easier to develop and more visible, but imbalances can cause further issues.

All the muscles around your middle, back and front. Vanity dictates them to be visible, but you can have a small layer of fat on top of them and they do the job just as well.

You can edit the discussion (first post) to allow tangents if you want and I'll drop messing with the spoilers 😉

🤔 hmmm... I don’t know: does the anatomy of the human body count as a tangent to the subject of exercise?
    So long as it’s focussed on “how not to inadvertently create future problems”... 😉

It's your thread, if you're cool with it so am I ☺

@Karamazov said:

@Bender said:
    Isometric exercises are also essential - something like this (there are many plank variations and the longer you maintain it, the more it burns):

And this is one of the most complete exercises engaging both the core and the back, and if you do different sets with different weights, you will engage different muscles differently. That was a mouthful 😳

Ah: so this is the sort of thing you’d recommend me adding in as soon as my body has adjusted to an initial regime, to keep everything nicely balanced?

You usually start by picking 4-6 exercises well-balanced to include the whole body, decide on a number of repetitions (like in the video and there's probably a million of them) and how many rounds you want to do. Most people start with 3, taking a bit of time to catch their breath in between. When you master that, you usually move to heavier weights and/or add more rounds: I would often do three rounds x three with slightly longer breaks (1-2min) between the sets. But you can also do this particular interval, then follow with a different one, or do light cardio between them: three rounds, light cardio, three rounds, light cardio.

Never push too hard, if your heart is pounding and you're running out of breath, take a break and walk around until you settle down a bit, you don't want to injure yourself or throw up. DO NOT sit down until your pulse already went down a bit and your breathing settled. Also, don't rush, form is what really matters, not speed.

There are people who like to work different parts of the body on different days, but that a different story.

If you want to focus on a specific area or group of muscles, you can add or replace one exercise with one targeting it. There are basically endless variations, you'll never run out of them 😂

What I usually do is work with two different sets of dumbells, with individual dumbells weighing 10% to 25% of my weight and do different exercises and number of repetitions with different weights. I also do HIIT on a rower in between, but the whole thing is nowhere near gentle - I do it because I'm old and like to keep reasonably strong and fast and maintain my metabolism. Also, that kind of physical exertion pushing on pain is the only thing that manages to quiet my mind.

Take it easy in the beginning, learn your limits and only add or change things once you're very comfortable with what you're doing and it doesn't require that much effort. When you get there, feel free to ask me, I change my intervals and routines all the time and I have a glossary somewhere for different body parts and muscles groups.

• @Bender said:

@Karamazov said:

@Bender said:

It's your thread, if you're cool with it so am I ☺> @Karamazov said:

@Bender said:

You usually start by picking 4-6 exercises well-balanced to include the whole body, decide on a number of repetitions (like in that video and there's probably a million of them) and how many rounds you want to do. Most people start with 3, taking a bit of time to catch their breath in between. When you master that, you usually move to heavier weights and/or add more rounds: I would often do three rounds x three with slightly longer breaks (1-2min) between the sets. But you can also do this particular interval, then follow with a different one, or do light cardio between them: three rounds, light cardio, three rounds, light cardio.

Never push too hard, if your heart is pounding and you're running out of breath, take a break and walk around until you settle down a bit, you don't want to injure yourself or throw up. DO NOT sit down until your pulse already went down a bit and your breathing settled. Also, don't rush, form is what really matters, not speed.

There are people who like to work different parts of the body on different days, but that a different story.

If you want to focus on a specific area or group of muscles, you can add or replace one exercise with one targeting it. There are basically endless variations, you'll never run out of them 😂

What I usually do is work with two different sets of dumbells, with individual dumbells weighing 10% to 25% of my weight and do different exercises and number of repetitions with different weights. I also do HIIT on a rower in between, but the whole thing is nowhere near gentle - I do it because I'm old and like to keep reasonably strong and fast and maintain my metabolism. Also, that kind of physical exertion pushing on pain is the only thing that manages to quiet my mind.

Take it easy in the beginning, learn your limits and only add or change things once you're very comfortable with what you're doing and it doesn't require that much effort. When you get there, feel free to ask me, I change my intervals and routines all the time and I have a glossary somewhere for different body parts and muscles groups.

Ah, okay then: so I think I’ll stick with the contents of that video, stair walking and try some beginner level yoga like Isabella recommended in the next few days.
    Remember not to sit down (I’m now remembering my games teacher talking about “walking off” as he put it... maybe that’s what he meant 🤔 )

Then once my body can take that in its stride think about all those long thin muscles around my spine, given that I did something silly with my upper back focussing on that before I’m too old to start and it becomes a real issue seems like a good idea. (Shoulders too come to think of it.)

• You can add the one in the second link (or replace an existing one, like the simple pushups) at any time you feel ready. It works your arms, trapezius, shoulders, intercostals, obliques and the whole back (abdomen too). Doing it regularly did wonders for my back, it's why I like it so much 😉

• 🤔 I’ll give it a go next time then methinks 🙂
    Cool beans 😎