Home General ASD

ICD 10/DSM 5 query

firemonkeyfiremonkey Citizen
edited January 2021 in General ASD

A member on another frorum has just been given an ICD 10 84.0 dx . It was said within that that DSM 5 required a severity rating. For them it was social communication level 2 & restricted repetitive behaviours level 1 .

I had no mention in my report of DSM 5 requirements . All I know is that my social communication was at classical autism level while social interaction was at Asperger's level. Would I be wrong in thinking that that too would be the same as the above the mentioned person?

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor
    edited January 2021

Diagnostics isn't all it's cracked up to be,it's a doctors opinion based on a books criteria written by other doctors.

I've always called myself an idiot savant anyway,I don't worry about diagnostics.

I am DX'ed as ASD I under DSM V
    Aspergers under DSM IV

PDD-NOS in the 80's before Autism was a thing

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

From my understanding there isn't necessarily supposed to be overlap between those support levels and Asperger's/classic autism/etc. I think that's the whole reason they exist, because people diagnosed with Asperger's can have support level 2 (and probably 3, but I think if someone's communication issues are that pronounced Asperger's wouldn't have fit) restricted repetitive behaviours or social difficulties if they get rediagnosed under the DSM5.

I didn't actually get diagnosed with Asperger's when I was assessed as a kid (but that was what was speculated over classic autism) and didn't get told what support levels I would have if the second assessor went through with diagnosing me, so I can't really say how those things match up for me.

• firemonkeyfiremonkey Citizen
    edited January 2021

From what I have heard there is a marked difference in terms of the depth and width of testing from one person being tested to another . Some are given a substantial number of tests including cognitive ones , while for others
    it's a few standard sessions + ADOS.

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor
    edited January 2021

@firemonkey said:
    From what I have heard there is a marked difference in terms of the depth and width of testing from one person being tested to another . Some are given a substantial number of tests including cognitive ones , while for others
    it's a few standard sessions + ADOS.

When I was assessed both times, one person (but different people) assessed me at the same children's behavioural center, and I essentially had a screening done and then one session for assessment with them. During my second assessment I was given an IQ test, answered questions about my social issues, and then filled out a couple forms + my mom filled out the same forms.

Edit: I'd like to add that my brother was tested wildly differently at the same place and was tested by multiple people as a kid, with more sessions. I don't know if they did that because I'm female and he's male, that always strikes me as weird.

• F84 is "autistic disorder." Under the ICD-10, this would not be Asperger's; it would be more like "classic autism."

The DSM-IV had "autistic disorder" without any "severity" levels. Only with the DSM-V was autism divided into "severity levels."

• firemonkeyfiremonkey Citizen
    edited January 2021

No IQ test for me. It might have been an age thing in my case. I'm one of those born too early for terms like 2e or 'gifted but learning disabled(USA)' to have been used. And to have got the help and support that can go with it.

• kraftiekortiekraftiekortie Citizen
    edited January 2021

The DSM-V is mostly used in the US, though it's occasionally used in other places, too.

The ICD-10 is mostly used in non-US places, though it's occasionally used in the US.

I worked for a nursing organization which used the ICD-10.

• IQ tests have been popular since the 1910s.

Around the 1950s, they were relied upon almost exclusively when seeking to determine someone's intelligence.

• I found out a few weeks ago that my parents had made use of a testing system being used in San Francisco in the mid-late 60s that had my IQ in the 150 range. That was pre teen. Also did a test at 15, but was never told the result.

• My report and confirmation of diagnosis states
    **ICD10 F84.5
    Autistic Spectrum Disorder / Aspergers Syndrome **

I rarely refer to AS and tend to say that I have Autism or Autistic Spectrum Condition