Home General ASD

What kind of pet do you prefer having, and why?

HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

The vague title might make this seem weird to be put in the "General ASD" section, but I'm wondering specifically what kind of pets you guys prefer and if you think your preference correlates with your autism at all. I always hear people compare cat behaviour with autism, and that autistic people like to have cats, but I feel like with how much of a "spectrum" ASD is that there's probably a wide range of pets that autistics can handle having.

So, what kind of pet do you prefer having, and why do you think your autism influences that? If you don't like having a pet at all, please still explain why your autism influences that decision. This also isn't limited to dogs and cats. Rodents, reptiles, and other pets are included.

I actually prefer to have dogs as pets over cats. I like them because of how active they are, and how affectionate they are. I feel like having a dog makes me a lot less lonely, and while they're more "sensory intensive" (they bark, have collars that jingle, and they lick people, jump on them, etc.) I like the extra sensory input. Especially when (smaller) dogs lay on/against me. lmao

I also like the fact you have to walk dogs and that a lot of breeds can be trained to act properly in public, because having a dog with me makes me a lot less disoriented and stressed out while outside and in public. They kind of "ground" me and give me something to focus on. They also give me more of a routine and more stability than cats do, because cats are very independent but dogs rely on humans for most things, like trimming their nails, bathing them, training them, etc.

Comments

• BenderBender Citizen
    edited January 2021

I'll go with the stereotype as I prefer cats. They are independent and low maintenance, they don't destroy things and are usually quiet. Being nocturnal is also great for me as an insomniac and my cat always keeps me company if I can't sleep.

Something else I like about cats from an autistic point of view is that you don't need to establish and maintain a hierarchy or pack order with them, while it can be dangerous and messy not to do so with dogs and other pack animals. And you have to re-enforce it too, as they tend to test boundaries and rules periodically and see how much they can get away with - this is a type of behaviour that bothers me a lot with some humans too.

Cats need minimal training, they don't try to bite the postman and you generally don't have to worry about irresponsible or stupid owners who allow their pets to behave in an aggressive or dangerous manner. Stray or feral cats don't normally present a danger to children or humans in general, and you don't see territorial packs of cats terrorising the neighbourhood, which can be a significant issue with dogs. They are also very clean, they don't poop all over the place (this is more of an owner issue though) or try to eat it.

Maybe my favourite thing in my relationship with my cats is that you have to earn their love and trust and this is again a reflection of how I like my relationships with humans: you get out of it what you put in. They won't love you if you mistreat or neglect them, but if you treat them well, the way they reward you and get attached to you can be very moving. My cat always knows if I'm upset or ill and he will become either agitated and anxious or more affectionate and talkative and spend a lot of time fussing and trying to console me.

This being said, I do like dogs a lot too (and most animals) and had them in the past, when I had more time and energy. I do love playing with them and they make fantastic outdoors companions.

I'm not particularly fond of rodents, but I'm considering fish, as going to the aquarium has a very relaxing effect on me and I love looking at them. I like lizards and some reptiles a lot, but have no experience with them, and I'm also very fond of horses and interact with them very well, but I live in the city so that's not an option.