Home Life Skills

Have you any special talents and skills that you can tell us about? Such as...Don't be modest now.

Teach51Teach51 Citizen
edited December 2020 in Life Skills

Many of us here have multiple challenges to deal with but also skills and exceptional talents, Statest , we recently discovered, writes music, Karamazov, Blaze and Magna (to name a few) are accomplished gardeners, Bender cooks amazing dishes, please introduce us to these special attributes and share your gifts with us.

I myself, despite having a very limited vocabulary due to ADD and difficulties reading and writing, was told by a friend yesterday that I have a great gift for expressing things in a way that people can understand. I am a good communicator and believe that I have high emotional intelligence, which has been my salvation both as a teacher and a Registered Nurse. I paint and draw reasonably well and have a talent for design . People tell me that when they speak to me their hearts relax ( I don't know what that means but someone said that to me today). Tell us what you are good at or even a genius at, we would love to know.

Edit: I am not autistic and I am aware that communication can be challenging for some. I hope you know me well enough to trust that I am not being intentionally insensitive but rather I am aware of the amazing talents and knowledge that are demonstrated here that I myself lack. .

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor

@Teach51 said:
    Many of us here have multiple challenges to deal with but also skills and exceptional talents, Statest , we recently discovered, writes music, Karamazov, Blaze and Magna (to name a few) are accomplished gardeners, Bender cooks amazing dishes, please introduce us to these special attributes and share your gifts with us.

I myself, despite having a very limited vocabulary due to ADD and difficulties reading and writing, was told by a friend yesterday that I have a great gift for expressing things in a way that people can understand. I am a good communicator and believe that I have high emotional intelligence, which has been my salvation both as a teacher and a Registered Nurse. I paint and draw reasonably well and have a talent for design . People tell me that when they speak to me their hearts relax ( I don't know what that means but someone said that to me today). Tell us what you are good at or even a genius at, we would love to know.

I'd agree,I'd like to rent out some of those communication skill if such was possible.🙂

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited December 2020

@Statest16 said:

@Teach51 said:

I'd agree,I'd like to rent out some of those communication skill if such was possible.🙂

Tell us more please about your special skills S When did you first discover your love of music and ability to write it?😌

@Teach51 said:

@Statest16 said:

@Teach51 said:

Tell us more please about your special skills S When did you first discover your love of music and ability to write it?😌

I was always interested in music but didn't get serious until 18,in earlier childhood I was into painting but my artistic aspect of me got more into music in the late teens.I studied with private teachers but never went to a music school.

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

I'm good at getting along with animals, and picking up on the ways they communicate. Most animals I meet seem to like me and let me do things, like touch them, that they might not let other people do, which makes me happy.

• I’m not really “excellent” at anything....but am pretty good at some academic things. My “common sense” is getting better—though it’s still “below average.” Mechanical things are my Achilles Heel. I have some other tragic flaws that make it difficult for me to be a leader.

I’d make a good counselor, but a bad RN.

I’m really good at howling on the subway.

I think you, Teach, express yourself just fine, and have at least a decent vocabulary,

• @kraftiekortie said:
    I’m not really “excellent” at anything....but am pretty good at some academic things. My “common sense” is getting better—though it’s still “below average.” Mechanical things are my Achilles Heel. I have some other tragic flaws that make it difficult for me to be a leader.

I’d make a good counselor, but a bad RN.

I’m really good at howling on the subway.

I think you, Teach, express yourself just fine, and have at least a decent vocabulary,

Thanks kraftie. I think you have an excellent retention of information and facts. Howling on the subway is awesome!

• @Hylian said:
    I'm good at getting along with animals, and picking up on the ways they communicate. Most animals I meet seem to like me and let me do things, like touch them, that they might not let other people do, which makes me happy.

That's really a special thing, have you ever thought of an animal related profession? Not everyone has that ability.

• kraftiekortiekraftiekortie Citizen
    edited December 2020

I get along okay with cats....but as far as other animals are concerned, forget about it....

Perhaps, Hylian could be a veterinarian or animal behavioralist at a zoo?

• We have definite scholars here.

@kraftiekortie said:
    I’m not really “excellent” at anything....but am pretty good at some academic things.

You are quite good with academic things,your history is solid and I couldn't touch you in philosophy,not may people could keep up with you in philosophy.You must have read a lot over the years.

• You’re a smart guy, too. And thorough in history with a fine eye for important subtle details that I would miss.

And you’re a composer!

@kraftiekortie said:
    You’re a smart guy, too. And thorough in history with a fine eye for important subtle details that I would miss.

And you’re a composer!

Thanks kk🙂

• Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

I was considered a child prodigy in maths; I taught myself calculus at 13/14 and was allowed to skip two years in the subject. I've also had a knack for foreign languages going back to about the same point.

• There are more prodigies here, I do believe,

One has to acknowledge one’s talents, as well as one’s deficits. There’s too much emphasis on deficits these days,

• I gave this a lot of thought. I think my greatest skill is parenting. I'm devoted to my children, and would bear any sacrifice or hardship on their behalf. Parenting has always come naturally to me even though I have to improvise or second guess myself fairly often as a single mum. I've been able to persevere through some extremely challenging years without giving up, drawing on skills I never knew I had.

MD once said that I parent without reservation, fear, or ego.

I've raised two incredible human beings who never fail to astound me with their warmth, their charity, and their generosity of spirit. Nothing else matters. If all I achieve in this lifetime is to be a mother, then I've succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

In terms of talent, I'm very proficient in academics, research, and writing. I'm also quite accomplished in Mathematics. I manage money and finance well, even though money means very little to me.

I'm an excellent driver, even in adverse conditions. I knit very well and I take very good care of my pets.

• Lost_DragonLost_Dragon Citizen, Member

I am a natural storyteller and can often improvise well when feeling confident / secure. Particularly humour. My ability to visualise in detail and walk around places in my mind lends well to problem solving and planning out my art projects. I often see my idea in my head, and make notes about this visual, before making it a reality.

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

@Teach51 said:

@Hylian said:

That's really a special thing, have you ever thought of an animal related profession? Not everyone has that ability.

The main thing I want to do is work with animals. I'm not really sure what I want to do though. I just like being around them and taking care if them.

• Intern at a zoo, if that’s possible.

• I forgot to add that I'm a good swimmer, and I used to be a very accomplished cyclist / mountain biker.