Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

OCD

This is a thread to discuss OCD, and if/how it affects you.

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor

When younger I think I had OCD with intrusive thoughts,certainly had it.Other than intrusive thoughts I had no other OCD behaviors.I think I still have some intrusive thoughts but not as bad anymore.

• I tell people I am OCD because they have some (though limited) understanding, however my diagnosis is Obsessive. Hope it's ok to contribute.

I am not a germ phoebe, I know very little about germs and intend to stay that ignorant. My fear/concern is people stuff, as in anything off of other people, hair, blood, sweat, skin, passed either directly or indirectly. And while I don't want it on me, my real concern is for my things.

Obviously, the point here is that I am trying to control my little world

So, getting myself and/or things in and out of my home is a stressful palaver, but once once in or out I follow the rules of that environment. For example, clothes and shoes I wear outside are left in the hall, there is a clear line at the edge of the hall that marks the changeover. I step carefully from one to the other, balancing cus I need to wash my hands. Any purchases (contaminated ones) have either been left on the floor of the hall, or are hanging up in a shopping bag (uncontaminated) on a hook in the hall. I wash my hands up to half way between wrist and elbow (assuming I was wearing long sleeves). Then I go upstairs and have a shower, washing must include all areas that exposed such as hair and ears. Then I put on indoor clothes, and that's me done.

The uncontaminated shopping in the bag is things I am able to buy without them having to go on the conveyer belt or in a basket or touch anything. I have a system for Sainsburys and Tesco's using the automated tills that works most of the time, so most of my foodstuff comes in this way.

Things I have to buy but can't keep from contamination have to be decontaminated, which can mean deboxing, wiping with baby wipes, or if pos washing. Some things never graduate from the hall cus I can't work out how to decontaminate them.

Presents are a problem, I've been like this for decades and my mum regularly buys me hats, gloves, purses ect that don't go in the washing machine. I can't use them, any of them. What people really don't get is that there is no off switch on OCD for when it's inconvenient, or 'for special' or Christmas. It's a control thing, people ignoring what you tell them, does not make you feel in control, it makes you worse.

At work there's a couple of minutes weird behaviour with gloves before and after, but for my actual shifts, no one would guess there is an issue. I consider myself contaminated. At the end I wash my hands before putting my gloves on (clean on inside) that way I can do some shopping, touching the things without contaminating them.

I was sent to CBT for my OCD, luckily I dropped out (she was doing it wrong and kept telling me how I felt) I realise now that my Obsessive behavour is my crutch, take it away and my anxiety would increase. I have no intention of being cured. I do hope to become more relaxed but I feel strongly the way to achieve this is through prioritising anxiety.

• IsabellaIsabella Citizen
    edited December 2020

What people really don't get is that there is no off switch on OCD for when it's inconvenient, or 'for special' or Christmas. It's a control thing, people ignoring what you tell them, does not make you feel in control, it makes you worse.

>

Thanks for sharing, fluff. I know how hard it is for you to feel understood by others, especially your mother.

Your quote above is brilliant: There's no off switch for any of our conditions, at Christmas or ever. You have done well to accept your situation and to be articulate about your needs.

What is your earliest memory of feeling this way?

Also in response to the OP, I don't have OCD @Prom. My mother and brother do, and I'm very set in my ways but mine is more related to autism and a fear of change.