Home Mind and Body Wellbeing

CBD

Last night I had another flare-up of pain and went downstairs and grabbed some. I've tried it before hoping it will help me sleep, but it didn't.

It does seem to relax me a bit, but that was all, so I didn't bother again, especially since it's not cheap.

Maybe I'm not doing it right or I should try a higher concentration or something. Anybody else here who tried it and might have some words of wisdom or advice about this?

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen

I have tried a tincture t but not for pain. More for anxiety the effect was mild.

I was trying 12 drops, I think.

• So your experience was similar to mine? It did something but not enough to bother with it?

@Bender said:
    So your experience was similar to mine? It did something but not enough to bother with it?

Pretty much. I think dose is a key issue, it depends on source.

I don't know about anti-inflammatory.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

The CBD oil drops are quite pricey, I tried them for a while for anxiety, but I feel that OTC treatments arent effective for me.
    I'm not sure that those drops would have helped me with pain management either.

I know of someone who uses a topical CBD treatment as an anti inflammatory and for pain relief, they swear by it.

• @Amity said:
    The CBD oil drops are quite pricey, I tried them for a while for anxiety, but I feel that OTC treatments arent effective for me.
    I'm not sure that those drops would have helped me with pain management either.

I know of someone who uses a topical CBD treatment as an anti inflammatory and for pain relief, they swear by it.

Initially, I tried the drops for anxiety and relaxation, hoping it would help me sleep better.

Last night I picked a vaping pen as it's supposed to have a faster effect. I was a little bit more relaxed, but not enough to make a difference in general or with pain.

Most people seem to use it for anxiety or pain, maybe it's a dosage thing 😕

I'm not after a miracle cure, just something to take the edge off, so I was curious if I'm doing something wrong here.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

From what I recall it takes about 3 weeks with a consistent dose at the same time each day to see noticable effects.

I think that's the way with CBD products generally, they work best over a period of time. Though this is based on what I can recall when trying out the drops.

• Ive tried it a few times, in the form of oil. It tastes like rope, but it does have a nice relaxing effect. Seems to be very dosage/concentration dependent, and I never found a particularky good one.

• @Amity said:
    From what I recall it takes about 3 weeks with a consistent dose at the same time each day to see noticable effects.

I think that's the way with CBD products generally, they work best over a period of time. Though this is based on what I can recall when trying out the drops.

I didn't know that, it might be worth a try now that I have it anyway.

@Wolfram said:
    Ive tried it a few times, in the form of oil. It tastes like rope, but it does have a nice relaxing effect. Seems to be very dosage/concentration dependent, and I never found a particularky good one.

Did it help you sleep better? I seem to remember you struggle with that too sometimes.

• Cant comment on sleep quality, but I like to think it helped me relax and fall asleep, at least. Though I find the passionflower-supplements I eat now to be both more reliable and more affordable in that regard.

• @Wolfram said:
    Cant comment on sleep quality, but I like to think it helped me relax and fall asleep, at least. Though I find the passionflower-supplements I eat now to be both more reliable and more affordable in that regard.

I keep forgetting looking into passionflower, I usually take valerian. I'm pretty sure I've seen something combining these two.

• I think I had a bad reaction to the stuff. I took a cbd oil capsule when I was having an extended period of palpations and anxiety and I felt worse afterwards. The next day I experienced another attack and tried another and immediately felt worse. For one thing my tennitus got really bad, which of course made my anxiety much worse. Maybe it was purely a case of correlation rather than causation, but I'm never going to try it again.

• @Bender lavender fragrance can help you fall asleep too. I sprinkle it on my pillow case.

• BenderBender Citizen
    edited December 2020

@Wulfnite said:
    @Bender lavender fragrance can help you fall asleep too. I sprinkle it on my pillow case.

I love the smell and have an aroma diffuser thingy for the oil, it's lovely but no luck in the sleep department.

But I'm generally grateful for everything that makes evenings more relaxing, I tend to get too awake and mentally active around midnight.

• I've also developed a mental discipline of not thinking at bedtime. Letting my mind wander rather than ponder. It took awhile but I've mastered it pretty well. "No thinking, thinking is not allowed" became my mantra.

• @Bender said:

@Wolfram said:
    Cant comment on sleep quality, but I like to think it helped me relax and fall asleep, at least. Though I find the passionflower-supplements I eat now to be both more reliable and more affordable in that regard.

I keep forgetting looking into passionflower, I usually take valerian. I'm pretty sure I've seen something combining these two.

Valerian did absolutely nothing for me. Passiflora Incarnata is where it's at; it's the kind of relaxation where you take two before bedtime and lay down to read, then after a while you catch yourself having had your eyes closed for 20 minutes with the book still in front of you. And that's how you know it's time to put the book down and sleep.

• @Wolfram said:

@Bender said:

@Wolfram said:

Valerian did absolutely nothing for me. Passiflora Incarnata is where it's at; it's the kind of relaxation where you take two before bedtime and lay down to read, then after a while you catch yourself having had your eyes closed for 20 minutes with the book still in front of you. And that's how you know it's time to put the book down and sleep.

You mean there's any other way to read in bed then feeling you barely opened the book it's already getting light outside? 😜

I'll definitely try this thing.

• @Wulfnite said:
    I've also developed a mental discipline of not thinking at bedtime. Letting my mind wander rather than ponder. It took awhile but I've mastered it pretty well. "No thinking, thinking is not allowed" became my mantra.

Yes, that's a tough one. No wonder some people avoid thinking at all costs 🙃

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

I've tried CBD for anxiety before and it's only helped a couple times, other times it seems to make it worse. I have no idea what about me makes it work like that as everyone who talks about CBD says it works like a charm, and works immediately for them.

• WulfniteWulfnite Citizen
    edited December 2020

Ah so I'm not the only one who experienced worse anxiety. I know for me any type of mood altering drug can backfire. My brain chemistry is a bit screwy.

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

@Wulfnite said:
    Ah so I'm not the only one who experienced worse anxiety. I know with me any type of mood altering drug can backfire.

Most drugs that aren't actual anti-anxiety medications like Xanax just give me more anxiety. CBD, supplements, etc. It sucks because these things seem to work for other people really well.

• Xanax works well on me, but stronger stuff like Celexa worked too good and made me too fearless. I got reckless and aggressive.

• Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

CBD is a gateway to the legalisation of cannabis, so I'd never personally use it.

• WizardryWizardry Citizen, Mentor

@Prometheus81 said:
    CBD is a gateway to the legalisation of cannabis, so I'd never personally use it.

That's all the more reason to use it.

edited December 2020

@Wizardry said:

@Prometheus81 said:

That's all the more reason to use it.

Cannabis causes irreversible, severe mental illness of an often violent and criminal variety. It would be incredibly irresponsible for any government to legalise it, although many will, because there's a multi-billion dollar big business lobby behind legalisation (smoking cannabis is super rebellious, right?)

With cannabis, we're at about the point we were in the 1950s with cigarettes, and will learn the hard way as usual. The only difference is that cigarettes didn't destroy people's minds as well as their bodies.

• Guys, please stay on topic and keep to facts: cannabis can (as opposed to will) cause issues, depending on a lot of variables, but we're not discussing cannabis here, I was asking people who already tried CBD to share their experiences.

Discussing legislation or studies regarding the effects of cannabis should go in the appropriate section.

edited December 2020

You're right of course, but could I just refer you to the grammatical construct of the "habitual present"? Of course, marijuana doesn't always cause problems.

• @Prometheus81 said:
    You're right of course, but could I just refer you to the grammatical construct of the "habitual present"? Of course, marijuana doesn't always cause problems.

Aye, thank you, as a non-native speaker, it's not always easy to navigate the nuances 😉

I'm very focused on precision, especially with controversial subjects, as I find it avoids unnecessary misunderstandings.

• CBD oil is legal here, and widely available.

It works fairly well for my daughter, for inflammation and pain. It's not a miracle treatment though.

It doesn't help my brother at all.

My daughter got some for my mother for Christmas, for her pain from the shoulder replacement and now a fractured shoulder. I don't think she's tried it yet but I'll update when I know her response.

I've never tried it myself.

• kraftiekortiekraftiekortie Citizen
    edited December 2020

It's legal here, too. A few people suggested that I try it.

If it works, I would continue using it.

The medicinal qualities of marijuana have been known for a long time. I, personally, cannot stand the stuff. I've seen people become like zombies because of it.

But if it helps someone alleviate pain, then I'm all for it. Pain is something you want to get rid of at all costs. It affects the whole quality of your life.

I would take the alleviation of pain over some moral objection any day! Especially since marijuana or CBD oil is not physically addictive----like heroin and opioids.