Food and cooking

I love cooking, it's one of my favourite anti-stress activities. I'm also very curious about food in general and different cuisines so I'm normally willing to at least try anything. In time, I've discovered that most of my food aversions were due to the way something or other was cooked and I love experimenting to see if I can find workarounds for taste or texture issues.

So, if you cook, share pictures, recipes, techniques or anything you'd like and if you don't, feel free to also share what your favourite foods or restaurants are and if you have pictures, bring it on :)

I've been experimenting with various vegetarian recipes for pasta lately (I'm not a vegetarian though) and making gnocchi.

Here's my truffle tortelloni with a light blue cheese and basil sauce.

Comments

• Something else my wife and I do is to celebrate every time we do (or make) something for the first time.

I finally got around to making kifto (Ethiopian tartare) after falling in love with it in a restaurant.

It was a spur of the moment decision and I didn't have the right ingredients for making injera, so I served it with toast and a good glass of Burgundy.

• Your presentation is amazing, and I shake my fist in envy at you.

• Thank you, I have almost 30 more years of experience that you need to take into account. In my 30s I only cooked pretty basic food and plonked it on a plate. Was still good though lol

• Wait until you see Magna's work, he's fantastic and - speaking of envy - grows his own veggies and stuff

• TemTem Citizen

I used to really enjoy cooking and fell out of love with it for some reason.
    Perhaps I can rekindle my relationship with cuisine using here as inspiration and motivation.

I could eat the monitor when I see your food Bender.

• LOL thank you tem :)

Amity as a domestic goddess gave me an idea today. I usually make sourdough bread fairly often and I had some going a bit stale. I don't have a microwave, so I just put the slices in the oven with a bit of garlic butter, shredded cheddar and a few shallot slices and pepper: perfect brunch.

Thanks, Amity :)

• TemTem Citizen

Aw gawd, now I have to go put the oven on and do cheese on toast with my onions from the garden. It is gone 1 am but I will not be able to sleep unless I do.
    I am rubbish with photos , otherwise I would post some.

• Yummmmmmy -- I like this thread.

contemplates ordering pizza

• I made meatballs. Then I ate meatballs. Hangover- brunch.

• I made meatballs. Then I ate meatballs. Hangover- brunch.

How doesn't love Swedish meatballs? Speaking of Swedish food, I made Hassleback potatoes the other day - great either as a snack or side dish.

• Aw gawd, now I have to go put the oven on and do cheese on toast with my onions from the garden. It is gone 1 am but I will not be able to sleep unless I do.
    I am rubbish with photos , otherwise I would post some.

A shame for those onions to go to waste :)

I shall continue my work of corruption until you cave in. Do you also have potatoes in your garden? The Brits really know their way around a proper baked potato.

Jacket potatoes with herbs and garlic butter and pan-fried salmon with a honey, mustard and dill glaze.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

I didnt know of these hassleback potatoes.... nom nom

• They are the perfect combination of fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

I'm gonna try them this weekend. ;)

• If you want to be a bit extra weird and foreign, call them "potatoes a la Hasselbacken". That's three european languages in one name.

"Hasselbacken" means "the hazel slope", and is an old fancy restaurant in Stockholm. And contrary to popular claims, they did not in fact invent the dish.

• I think it's cool that the potatoes grow in slices like that. 😋

• Thank you for the kind words, Bender. I don't have any pictures right now, but like you, I have been experimenting lately.

The latest?

I've dehydrated over 100 pounds of my grown tomatoes. I've taken the dried tomato slices and I've blended them to a fine powder. The powder itself is so versatile and exquisite even in simple things like folding it into mayonnaise.

Twice now I've used the powder to make marinara sauce. Wow. I don't think we'll be buying any canned tomato or spaghetti sauce again. It's SO good!

I did invent a side dish recently using the tomato powder and for that I think I will take pictures and post the recipe. A Magna original.

• Great to see you Magna, that sounds fantastic. I'm looking forward to pics and ideas from you :)

• TemTem Citizen

I have grown potatoes in the past Bender, but alas my poor back and body don't do the heavy work anymore.

My gardener put those onions in for me and I just dug up a few at a time to eat. He is a dear. He goes dormant in winter.

My neighbour gave me tomatoes from her neighbours garden and another neighbour gave me 1k of organic butter from the dairy around the corner.

Home grown leeks are lovely. You will not be disappointed.

• I love leeks. I don't like living out of the city, so I've only grown easy things like flowers or herbs. I've had good results growing salad leaves in a pot.

Saltimbocca a la Romana this weekend, a favourite in our house. Veal cutlets (very lean pork or chicken works too) wrapped in prosciutto, cooked in butter, white wine and a lot of sage. Roasted broccoli with garlic, lemon and parmesan as a side dish.

Since you need to get the meat very thin and roll the prosciutto to adhere to it, I usually make a lot, portion it and put it in the freezer. It doesn't take more than 10-15 minutes to get it on the table this way.

What is should look like before cooking

• AprilrAprilr Citizen
    edited October 2020

I am so glad to find a cooking thread!

I recently made a pumpkin dessert, wish i took some pictures!

Basically poured 2 and a half cup of sugar on the pumpkin slices (about 1230 grams) let the sugar melt overnight, in the morning cooked the pumpkins on low heat without adding any water.
    It took about one and a half hour to cook, but turned out delicious. The caramelized sugar taste mixed with the pumpkin= amazing.
    Served with crushed walnuts.

• Boiled too much sticky rice, sliced up half a kilo of raw salmon. Served with pickled ginger and soy sauce.

Fake sushi for the win!

• More gnocchi - with Shimeji mushrooms, broccoli, garlic and parmesan.

I'm borderline obsessed with Aglio e olio these days: I never thought I'd like pasta with no cheese, but this one is spectacular. I'll take some pics next time I make it.

• TemTem Citizen

I am making a bacon and lentil soup for ma. She can no longer eat things like bacon unless it is boiled and soft.

• Unintentionally drank all the beers yesterday. Deploying pork and beans countermeasures.

• TemTem Citizen

@Wolfram said:
    Unintentionally drank all the beers yesterday. Deploying pork and beans countermeasures.

A cooked breakfast usually did it for me. I have a lot of experience.
    And then a nice nap and I woke up feeling as good as new.

• Caffeine and a bunch of fat and protein did the thing, so I'm alright. Heading out hunting for shillelagh-material in a bit.

I can't have naps. I wake up disorientated and it makes my already bad insomnia worse.

• What is shillelagh?

• WolframWolfram Citizen
    edited October 2020

An Irish walking stick/attitude adjustment device.

Traditionally made from hardwood limbs such as blackthorn, rowan and oak.

• I roasted garlic yesterday to make a variation of garlic butter with fresh herbs. I like keeping several sticks in the freezer because it's very versatile to use either for garlic bread, sandwiches or cooking.

Roasting the garlic makes it much sweeter, with a slightly caramelised taste and it's less aggressive for those who don't easily tolerate it raw or fried. I make a paste of it and also keep it in the fridge as it's mild enough to use it straight on toast, or in salads, tartare, cold or warm sauces.

We're big garlic lovers in my house, it's extremely versatile, tastes differently depending on what you do with it and does wonders for your immune system. Making black garlic for Asian dishes is next on my list, but it takes 3 up to 6 weeks and I'll have to buy a rice cooker.