Home Life Skills

Bender's domestic goddess thread

13»

Comments

• I hate the doorbell too, with a passion and fully support the use of "domestic terrorism" in this context.

I would definitely accidentally on purpose sabotage it for now, then ask your brother or check the internet about regulations and different models. You can definitely find quieter ones or some that use light instead of sound alerts - it might be worth checking out products for deaf people too.

You could also look into "smart doorbells" that send notifications and/or video straight to your phone or computer.

• IsabellaIsabella Citizen
    edited January 2021

My brother said they're easy to switch: two wires at the button and two wires behind the bell. Apparently they're low voltage and I wouldn't hurt myself even if the electricity wasn't shut off. That brings back memories of my dad licking his finger and touching wires to see if they were live .... 😲

I looked online and it seems most doorbells that I could order are wireless. I'm not interested in a wireless doorbell because it sounds gimmicky and unreliable if my wifi goes down. The sad thing is that I need a loud doorbell because if the postman needs me to sign for a package and I don't hear the door, they only wait about 30 seconds before taking it to the post office. I'm NOT going to a post office during Covid, so I would forfeit my item.

Next Goddess topic: 🙃

Tips on keeping towels fluffy fresh? I've done everything the internet says: Little to no detergent, vinegar, hot water, no fabric softener, small loads, medium dryer heat, dryer balls, drying them outdoors. Invariably new towels stop being wonderful after about four months of use.

Does anyone have good tips that work to keep new towels soft, or to restore older towels?

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

@Isabella said:
    Next Goddess topic: 🙃

Tips on keeping towels fluffy fresh? I've done everything the internet says: Little to no detergent, vinegar, hot water, no fabric softener, small loads, medium dryer heat, dryer balls, drying them outdoors. Invariably new towels stop being wonderful after about four months of use.

Does anyone have good tips that work to keep new towels soft, or to restore older towels?

I'm also interested to see if anyone has tips. This irritates me as it seems impossible to keep towels feeling soft. The only luck I have is if I hand wash them, but it only prolongs how soft they are and I am not handwashing towels for the rest of my life.

• I have a new question, partly for a laugh and partly to be serious.

When you do indoor / outdoor work do you make straight line patterns on the ground, or go all over the place?

I've noticed when I push a vacuum, rake leaves, cut grass, or shovel snow, I can see from the lines on the ground that I'm haphazard and going all over the place back and forth. The lines I see are curvy and disjointed. I usually end up going horizontally, vertically, diagonally, and everything in between.

I miss spots, too.

I saw my mother's perfect vacuum tracks when we had thick carpets. I see my neighbours' lovely, uniform straight lines when they mow grass, rake leaves, or shovel snow. My tracks look more like the maze in The Shining. 😊 It's funny but you know me, I just had to analyse it!

I assume autistic people are orderly and would want nice lines with everything done in an orderly way. Nope. Not me, in this example! I consciously try to mimic the neighbours. I consciously try to look orderly. I focus on going back and forth. How hard can it be? Hard! I end up looking like a five year old was drawing patterns on the ground, or just having fun.

Maybe it's from ADHD, general lack of planning, physical weakness, or balance problems. I don't know but it's kind of funny. I wondered if any of you can relate.

@Isabella said:
    I have a new question, partly for a laugh and partly to be serious.

When you do indoor / outdoor work do you make straight line patterns on the ground, or go all over the place?

I've noticed when I push a vacuum, rake leaves, cut grass, or shovel snow, I can see from the lines on the ground that I'm haphazard and going all over the place back and forth. The lines I see are curvy and disjointed. I usually end up going horizontally, vertically, diagonally, and everything in between.

I miss spots, too.

I saw my mother's perfect vacuum tracks when we had thick carpets. I see my neighbours' lovely, uniform straight lines when they mow grass, rake leaves, or shovel snow. My tracks look more like the maze in The Shining. 😊 It's funny but you know me, I just had to analyse it!

I assume autistic people are orderly and would want nice lines with everything done in an orderly way. Nope. Not me, in this example! I consciously try to mimic the neighbours. I consciously try to look orderly. I focus on going back and forth. How hard can it be? Hard! I end up looking like a five year old was drawing patterns on the ground, or just having fun.

Maybe it's from ADHD, general lack of planning, physical weakness, or balance problems. I don't know but it's kind of funny. I wondered if any of you can relate.

I try to make things orderly and in proper lines when I mow the lawn, etc. but I have the same issue where it just looks terrible. I think it's my motor planning and coordination problems... I also miss spots and when I notice it later it pisses me off. lol

• KaramazovKaramazov Citizen
    edited January 2021

Yes, I seem to have a binary split between things that need to be done in an ordered consistent way... and things which any old way will do... regardless of my conscious thoughts on the matter!

I have to get down on my haunches and double check lawns I mow before putting the mower away: there’s always one cheeky tuft that evaded the blades and can’t be seen whilst stood up.

Tangentially flowing on: does anyone else crawl round the edges of lawns clipping them with a pair of scissors?
    (My customers have all laughed the first time they’ve seen me do it... then declared it’s the crispest job they’ve seen afterwards.)

• @Karamazov said:

Tangentially flowing on: does anyone else crawl round the edges of lawns clipping them with a pair of scissors?
    (My customers have all laughed the first time they’ve seen me do it... then declared it’s the crispest job they’ve seen afterwards.)

My neighbour does this. Tweezers too. ^

It sounds like you do a stellar job of it. I'd hire you in no time flat!

• @Isabella said:

@Karamazov said:

My neighbour does this. Tweezers too. ^

Tweezers! 🤣
    I hold it between my fingers the same way hairdressers do with hair.

It sounds like you do a stellar job of it. I'd hire you in no time flat!

I do it before mowing: so I can chuck the clippings on the lawn and pick them up with the mower. 💡

I’ve also been known to clear leaves off lawns with the lawnmower (it’s way quicker and easier than using a rake, plus they’re already broken down for composting: just have to remember to set the blades as high as they’ll go so it doesn’t damage the grass)

@Karamazov said:
    Yes, I seem to have a binary split between things that need to be done in an ordered consistent way... and things which any old way will do... regardless of my conscious thoughts on the matter!

I have to get down on my haunches and double check lawns I mow before putting the mower away: there’s always one cheeky tuft that evaded the blades and can’t be seen whilst stood up.

I've considered doing this but I don't want my neighbours to stare at me like I am on crack. lol