Home Life Skills

Storage solutions for soft copy

AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen
edited December 2020 in Life Skills

I'm wondering if someone could advise me on this please, I'm asking for advice for a digital immigrant like myself, who did not grow up in the digital age.

I'm looking for an easy to use back up method for documents, images etc, something that automatically backs up and updates files.

It has to have clear and simple instructions suited to a novice skill level

A good storage/price ratio.

OS windows 10

Suggestions are welcome

Edited to add that Dropbox and Google drive are non runners.

Comments

• MEGA?

• I use box and box sync for work. Box.com

For even higher security I use Tresorit.

• edited December 2020

OneDrive, it comes with Windows.

Why so?

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

@The_Face_of_Boo said:

Why so?

Hi ya thanks for the response ☺
    Too complicated/ the steps and instructions need to be easy to complete and be concise, in plain simple English.

• Have just deleted my Dropbox account. I wanted it to be able to auto sync new & updated files, which it just wouldn't do.

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen

I feel the dropbox has been going downhill for a while. It is also not suitable for mass storage,
    it i for sharing files.

It used to work well on linux mint, but hasn't synced properly for a while. Tried both the repos version and official releases.

• I'm not very technically minded,and not very good when something's ambiguous Hence the need for something that's straightforward to use, does auto syncing and has a good amount of storage,at a reasonable price.

• edited December 2020

@Amity said:

@The_Face_of_Boo said:

Why so?

Hi ya thanks for the response ☺
    Too complicated/ the steps and instructions need to be easy to complete and be concise, in plain simple English.

Well, they all have the same complexities.

The simplest solution would be an external hard disk.

• @The_Face_of_Boo said:

A while back I had such a drive. It had lots of music on it. It malfunctioned , and I lost all the music . I've been wary of external hard drives ever since then.

• Well....there's no super duper simple solution :P.

edited December 2020

@The_Face_of_Boo said:
    Well....there's no super duper simple solution :P.

One drive or goggle drive are well integrated into their products, but you have to accept information sharing that goes with using these companies.

• There's also iCloud if you are a Mac boy.

• @verity said:

@The_Face_of_Boo said:
    Well....there's no super duper simple solution :P.

Google one drive or goggle drive are well integrate into their products, but you have to accept information sharing that goes with using these companies.

I tried Google drive. It was erratic re the ability to upload things, and when it did upload was very slow. It didn't help that I could find no way to just upload new or updated files. If there were 5 new files it would proceed to upload 1005 files(for example- 1000 previous + 5 new) rather than just the 5 new ones.

I have one drive ,but am not sure about storage space. It needs to be able to automatically upload new and updated files.

It shouldn't be that way, but you are reliant on the supporting client/OS version software working correctly.

• @verity said:
    It shouldn't be that way, but you are reliant on the supporting client/OS version software working correctly.

I am using Windows 10. I'm seriously thinking that none of the available choices are fit for purpose .

• Both of the online backups I use do cost money, but because they are for business and I have high storage needs, I am willing to pay.

Box.com will only update the files you have changed unless you set up a new computer or have to erase it all and start over. They have new a system in which you keep everything in the cloud and only download what you need and then upload it when you are done. This does not work for me because I have very slow internet due to being in a rural area. So, I use the old system. Box works well for my team which has five people using the same data and updating various files daily.

Tresorit also costs money, but is highly secure. It has servers in more than one country. Everything is encrypted, even uploading and downloading. Your password is encrypted. Tresorit never sees it, and can’t help you get it back. No way anyone anyone can get access including the Americans. Everything I do is legal but I am a big privacy advocate.

• Looks good, but unless I know for certain it auto syncs new or updated files I'll give it a miss.

• @firemonkey said:

@The_Face_of_Boo said:

A while back I had such a drive. It had lots of music on it. It malfunctioned , and I lost all the music . I've been wary of external hard drives ever since then.

Well... sh*t happens :P lol

Weird things happen too in cloud storage services.