What game are you playing?

I'm currently playing a Harvest Moon game and trying to get enough gold to buy an angora rabbit for my farm.

Comments

• I played a lot of NBA 2K21 last night on my Switch as there was a Rec event with double rep. Someone posted the stats of one of my games on the Facebook group for it, lol.

Also still into Animal Crossing: New Horizons daily. All my game time these days is taken up by 2K21 and ACNH on the Switch.

• Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member
    edited November 2020

My position on video games is summed up neatly by St Paul, in one of the few passages in the Bible I care for:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. (1 Cor 13:11)

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

@Prometheus81 said:
    I don't want to cause any offence, but my position on video games was summed up neatly by St Paul, in one of the few passages in the Bible I care for:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. (1 Cor 13:11)

Okay?

@ting1984 said:
    I played a lot of NBA 2K21 last night on my Switch as there was a Rec event with double rep. Someone posted the stats of one of my games on the Facebook group for it, lol.

Also still into Animal Crossing: New Horizons daily. All my game time these days is taken up by 2K21 and ACNH on the Switch.

I haven't ever really played that game, or any sports games besides for the Tony Hawk skateboarding ones.

Is it good? What do you like about it?

• @Hylian said:

@ting1984 said:
    I played a lot of NBA 2K21 last night on my Switch as there was a Rec event with double rep. Someone posted the stats of one of my games on the Facebook group for it, lol.

I haven't ever really played that game, or any sports games besides for the Tony Hawk skateboarding ones.

It's mostly good; I think 2K is the only major NBA basketball video game out there now (NBA Live used to be a competitor, and that series was brilliant in the 1990s and early 2000s, but 2K overtook it by the mid 2000s and has been the top dog ever since).

It's about as realistic a basketball game as technology allows these days. Pro sports games have definitely gotten more advanced since the 1990s, when it was just a few basic buttons, and one could learn all the major skills in a matter of days. I'm learning new things all the time.

I particularly like the MyCareer mode, where you can play as an imaginary basketball player who makes an NBA team and plays regular season games all while developing various attributes, skill badges, and such gradually over time. In MyCareer, you can also take your player to play live opponents in Park mode, which has 2v2 and 3v3 "streetball" style games. The big drawback is the Nintendo Switch has a lot of online lag/latency compared to the more powerful PlayStation and Xbox consoles, so it's much more difficult to get accurate shooting in the online modes. Because of that, I primarily play old-school traditional post players who drive to the basket and don't shoot from the outside as much. 2K21 made the shooting more difficult this year compared to 2K20, which I believe was a huge mistake as outside shooting is more important and accurate than ever in today's actual NBA.

But other than that and the online lag, it's a very good game.

@ting1984 said:

@Hylian said:

@ting1984 said:

It's mostly good; I think 2K is the only major NBA basketball video game out there now (NBA Live used to be a competitor, and that series was brilliant in the 1990s and early 2000s, but 2K overtook it by the mid 2000s and has been the top dog ever since).

It's about as realistic a basketball game as technology allows these days. Pro sports games have definitely gotten more advanced since the 1990s, when it was just a few basic buttons, and one could learn all the major skills in a matter of days. I'm learning new things all the time.

I particularly like the MyCareer mode, where you can play as an imaginary basketball player who makes an NBA team and plays regular season games all while developing various attributes, skill badges, and such gradually over time. In MyCareer, you can also take your player to play live opponents in Park mode, which has 2v2 and 3v3 "streetball" style games. The big drawback is the Nintendo Switch has a lot of online lag/latency compared to the more powerful PlayStation and Xbox consoles, so it's much more difficult to get accurate shooting in the online modes. Because of that, I primarily play old-school traditional post players who drive to the basket and don't shoot from the outside as much. 2K21 made the shooting more difficult this year compared to 2K20, which I believe was a huge mistake as outside shooting is more important and accurate than ever in today's actual NBA.

Ohhh, there's a lot I didn't know about the game. I expected online play to not be good on the Switch, Nintendo has never been very good about that.

Thank you for giving me your opinion on it. I'll probably watch some people play it now and see if I like it enough to try it out. 😊

• @Hylian said:

@ting1984 said:

@Hylian said:

@ting1984 said:

Ohhh, there's a lot I didn't know about the game. I expected online play to not be good on the Switch, Nintendo has never been very good about that.

Thank you for giving me your opinion on it. I'll probably watch some people play it now and see if I like it enough to try it out. 😊

Sounds good! Hope you like it.

• WolframWolfram Citizen
    edited November 2020

@Prometheus81 said:
    My position on video games is summed up neatly by St Paul, in one of the few passages in the Bible I care for:

...after which I take it you immediately put the bible away and played some cool games instead?

I'm currently alternating between Starsector and Rimworld, but I'm really just waiting for Cyberpunk 2077, and none of them are really scratching the same itch.

T minus 10 days...

@Wolfram said:

@Prometheus81 said:

...after which I take it you immediately put the bible away and played some cool games instead?

I'm currently alternating between Starsector and Rimworld, but I'm really just waiting for Cyberpunk 2077, and none of them are really scratching the same itch.

T minus 10 days...

Besides for it not scratching your Cyberpunk itch, do you like Rimworld? I haven't heard a lot of people's opinions on it, nor have I played it myself, but it looks interesting.

• WolframWolfram Citizen
    edited November 2020

It's amazing. It's Dwarf Fortress, but playable and set in a Pseudo-Space-western setting. And if the base game gets dull (which would take a lot) the modding community is expansive and excellent.

I'm playing Breath of the Wild and trying to get the rest of the korok seeds. I still prefer collecting 900 seeds over trying to water those withered trees in Wind Waker in only 20 minutes.

• Up to my nostrils in Cyberpunk 2077. Game is amazing.

@Wolfram said:
    Up to my nostrils in Cyberpunk 2077. Game is amazing.

The only thing I've seen about it so far is the fact people were losing it over how the player character sleeps in a bed, sideways with their legs a bit off it. lol

• Well, given that the PC has the unholy lovechild of Tyler Durden and Kurt Cobain (as portrayed by Keanu Reeves) lodged directly into their skull and backseat-driving their brain, I'd say we can forgive an odd sleeping position as far as weirdness goes. XD

• DeepthoughtDeepthought Member
    edited December 2020

The game I am playing at the moment is SKYRIM: The Elder Scrolls V on Playstation 3, only I have done the main quests and am now just wondering aimlessly around just slaying dragons, bandits, bears and wolves if they hassle me, but otherwise taking in the scenery.

I am currently contemplating having a pet dog as virtual ones do not smell of dog, and do not involve all the responsibilities that go with that such as remembering to feed them, and clean up after them. Having hypersensitive smell just prevents me from having pets ~ so a virtual one is an interesting option, as I can talk to it as a player and just like any animal it is not going to answer me back, although one did in the game but that is another story.

One of the things I really like about computer games is applying my moral and ethical values to the games, such as above mentioned harming nothing or no-one unless they try to kill me or other people or whatever. Sometimes it makes completing games rather difficult or somewhat impossible, but it does make things more of challenge and somewhat more interesting.

Basically I really love free-roaming games, where there is no pressure to do anything but wonder around and be in awe at the artwork and design, particularly when it comes to the architecture of towns and cities and the plains, valleys and mountains of the countrysides depicted ~ especially on futuristic alien worlds and space-stations etcetera such as in Mass Effect 3, which is as a game alot more mission driven but hey hoe alot less soul destroying than being too seizure fragged or stressed out to read, plus they really help to focus and vent any pent-up aggression.

When it comes to particularly pent up aggression, there is the second of three games from the same series that involve being a cybernetic super-soldier that I really enjoy called CRYSIS 2:

If I have any anger of aggression regarding the world, things in the virtual world get it rather than anyone or anything in the real world. Gaming as such is immensely therapeutic whether I am venting or sight seeing.

• So much Stardew Valley because it's calming. I'm getting wore out finally, so possibly Dragon age XI next....

• @AnmeBonney said:
    So much Stardew Valley because it's calming. I'm getting wore out finally, so possibly Dragon age XI next....

Very picturesque looking indeed:

• It is very pretty, bot BOTW is the ultimate yardstick.

• @AnmeBonney said:
    It is very pretty, bot BOTW is the ultimate yardstick.

It think is a matter of taste as the colouration is more muted:

But the vivid and muted together is rather tasty in terms of contrast and vanishing point etcetera:

The iconography everywhere and futuristic architecture in places looks exquisite!

I will have to mention this to my mother as she was or may still very much be into Zelda, and she does not mention her gaming unless I ask her about it directly ~ which I have not for quite some time now, oops! So thanks for bringing this up, much appreciated! Bonus! 👍

• WulfniteWulfnite Citizen
    edited December 2020

I've been playing Lord of the Rings Online daily for 5 years. How's that for autistic fixed routine? It's like Deepthought's description of Skyrim; lots of times I just roam around enjoying the scenery. Or watching other players characters come and go. I've collected a vast number of items, to the point where I've created extra characters just to store overflow stuff in their inventory bags and vaults.

• I'm having another go at Electronic Super Joy. Anyone played that?

I'm going to play Wind Waker. My mom let me use the GameCube and now that it's hooked up I'm hyped to play the games I've been wanting to play for months. My brother said he'll play some Melee with me later so I'm also excited to do that.