Home Other Conditions

OCD

OCD is another common comorbid among us.

I was diagnosed with a mild form of this as a teenager and was on Prozac for awhile (tried Zoloft first, but it made me nauseous; I was on Prozac for a couple of years, but went off because it dulled my sense of enjoyment). I remember still having questions because, while I had a number of obsessions and compulsions, there were a few I actually enjoyed. One of the distinctions made between OCD and the autism spectrum is those with ASD often enjoy repetition and obsessions for their own sake. Of course I learned about autism only much later and was diagnosed much later.

When I was diagnosed with autism in 2014, my Axis II read 'Obsessive-Compulsive Traits.'

Comments

• OCD can be affected/aggravated by caffeine.

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

I've never been diagnosed with OCD. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder when I got tested for ASD, and over time the more I think about my anxiety the more it seems to be half from autism related issues (issues with change, sensory overload, issues with masking, etc.) and half from intrusive thoughts and compulsions I have. I also have had tics and issues with hair pulling, which I guess are not uncommon in people with OCD.

There are "compulsions" I enjoy partaking in, which are probably just from autism, but there's a lot more that actually stress me out. Some intrusive thoughts also dominate my thoughts so much that they have given me nightmares.

An example is how I constantly worry about a fire happening and my pets getting hurt, so I often have very realistic dreams of that happening and will take excessive steps to prepare in case that does happen, like checking and rechecking everything around the house that can catch fire and reviewing a plan I've made to get my pets out of the house.

• Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

I have it to an extreme extent, although I've found that it's often beneficial for me, in that it gives me motivation that other young men seem to lack nowadays. Of course, this comes at a huge emotional and psychological cost, but I'm still not entirely regretful of it.

Given that I don't entirely recognise it as a disorder, it probably comes more under the heading of OCPD than OCD, but I was diagnosed with the latter.

• I have tendencies, that's for sure, to what extent some of them are more autism-related or a result of past experiences, I'm not sure.

For the most part, they tend to be beneficial for me too, they help a lot with organising and keeping me on track with things, the need to bring (some) order into chaos can be a strong drive.