Homeโ€บ Other Conditions

Confidence

13ยป

Comments

• SheldonSheldon Citizen
    edited December 2020

@ting1984 said:
    I think we can all agree this unintentionally went off-topic, which is understandable in the times we're living in, as everything is politically charged, and it's hard to avoid. I admit that I contributed to the drift, and regret doing so. I think we can also all agree as well that we can move on and get back to the main topic at hand. I think there were lessons here that many of us autists don't have a lot of social confidence, can find it challenging to communicate with others, or understand others, and some of this even contributed to some of the aforementioned drift.

What I really want to emphasize the most is I cannot have confidence in part because I have so much trouble deciphering humor, taking people literally, taking them at face value. All I ask is that when people communicate with me, they try to be as direct as possible, avoid humor, and don't assume I can read between the lines or always understand what you're trying to get at. Yes, I may be "well-adjusted," but I AM autistic. Clinically diagnosed as moderate, even. I don't have confidence in humor, socializing with others, reading between the lines, or taking what anyone writes beyond face value. I cannot read your mind and can only process what you write in the ways my brain is hardwired to do: without humor, taken at face value, taken literally.

So, can I follow this up or will my doing so be frowned upon? ๐Ÿค”

• @kraftiekortie said:
    I wouldnโ€™t advocate taking the Dale Carnegie course.

I recall him being the confident How to Win Friends and Influence People guy. I Googled it and that is correct.

• Yep. Thatโ€™s the guy. A whole bunch of crap.

And many โ€œself-helpโ€ books in general.

• I have been on the outside, looking in, all my life, so I developed an internal locus of identity where, eventually, I didn't need others to bolster my confidence. It is self-perpetuating in me, these days.
    Well, until dementia sets in. ๐Ÿ˜จ

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

@Sheldon said:

@ting1984 said:
    I think we can all agree this unintentionally went off-topic, which is understandable in the times we're living in, as everything is politically charged, and it's hard to avoid. I admit that I contributed to the drift, and regret doing so. I think we can also all agree as well that we can move on and get back to the main topic at hand. I think there were lessons here that many of us autists don't have a lot of social confidence, can find it challenging to communicate with others, or understand others, and some of this even contributed to some of the aforementioned drift.

What I really want to emphasize the most is I cannot have confidence in part because I have so much trouble deciphering humor, taking people literally, taking them at face value. All I ask is that when people communicate with me, they try to be as direct as possible, avoid humor, and don't assume I can read between the lines or always understand what you're trying to get at. Yes, I may be "well-adjusted," but I AM autistic. Clinically diagnosed as moderate, even. I don't have confidence in humor, socializing with others, reading between the lines, or taking what anyone writes beyond face value. I cannot read your mind and can only process what you write in the ways my brain is hardwired to do: without humor, taken at face value, taken literally.

So, can I follow this up or will my doing so be frowned upon? ๐Ÿค”

A follow up on the topic of confidence... of course!
    If its the confidence topic linked with politics, you can follow up in the political theory section โ˜บ

• Neither. ๐Ÿจ

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

@Sheldon said:
    Neither. ๐Ÿจ

New thread?

• Total acceptance of what I'm bad? Yes. Something I do well at? A lot of people could do well at it.