Genealogy and DNA

i have tested with several companies and uploaded raw data to others. The ethnicity estimates are far from perfect. The best guide is via cousin matching. I'd like to trace back my patrilineal line It's a relatively rare surname and haplogroup, . Information arrives in dribs and drabs.

Anyone else into this?

Comments

• Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor

I have never tried it,I'd be curious cause my mom was adopted but it's known her bio mom was Irish,bio dad possibly Canadian French but not confirmed.On my father side mostly Scandinavian and was not adopted.I would be really curious but have never thought such things were a good expenditure.Maybe one day I'll get tested

edited November 2020

I looked up haplogroup and am still not quite sure what it proves.But testing might be good because nothing is known of my fathers family predating 1900.And nothing known of my mothers family no further than the 1920's,I don't know my mothers mothers birth year but that is as far back as is known,likely between 1915 and 1925

There is my moms bio sister in Colorado but I don't know her last name because her and my mom were separated at birth and raised by different adoptive parents.I have not seen Annie since my mothers death in 1997

• I have done mine through 23andMe, AncestryDNA, and MyHeritage. MyHeritage was the least accurate of the three while 23andMe and AncestryDNA were quite good. I'm mostly English on my dad's side and mostly German on my mom's.

@ting1984 said:
    I have done mine through 23andMe, AncestryDNA, and MyHeritage. MyHeritage was the least accurate of the three while 23andMe and AncestryDNA were quite good. I'm mostly English on my dad's side and mostly German on my mom's.

How would you know which test was most accurate other than cross referencing what you already know about your family but that could be wrong and the relative reference point could be off.

@Statest16 said:

@ting1984 said:
    I have done mine through 23andMe, AncestryDNA, and MyHeritage. MyHeritage was the least accurate of the three while 23andMe and AncestryDNA were quite good. I'm mostly English on my dad's side and mostly German on my mom's.

How would you know which test was most accurate other than cross referencing what you already know about your family but that could be wrong and the relative reference point could be off.

• @Statest16 said:

@ting1984 said:

I have very detailed genealogical information on both sides of my family. The results relative to the well-documented paper trail were very accurate.

My paternal grandfather born in 1900 lied about his age and joined WW I as a teenager so all of his government paperwork is all a lie.Nothing is known about his parents.

My paternal grandmother was a Danish immigrant from Seattle WA,nothing else is known.

My mother was born in a state prison in Framingham,MA and given for adoption with 1 bio sister raised separate.My maternal grandmother was likely born in the 1920's and of Irish decent.Nothing else is known,nothing is known of my maternal grandfather.I think I need some serious DNA testing LOL😝

• My family history is well-documented back to the 1600s for my dad's side (English settlers in Massachusetts), and my mom's side of the family were classic German immigrants to Minnesota and South Dakota. It's hardly mysterious for me.

@ting1984 said:

@Statest16 said:

@ting1984 said:

I have very detailed genealogical information on both sides of my family. The results relative to the well-documented paper trail were very accurate.

So you already knew what you would get for the most part

• Yep, pretty much. While the percentages are debatable, 23andMe and AncestryDNA have enough sample sizes from those populations for them to give results that are reasonable and not off-the-wall absurd. I've also compared my results to other family members whose histories I know, and nothing I've seen is outlandish.

@ting1984 said:
    Yep, pretty much. While the percentages are debatable, 23andMe and AncestryDNA have enough sample sizes from those populations for them to give results that are reasonable and not off-the-wall absurd. I've also compared my results to other family members whose histories I know, and nothing I've seen is outlandish.

I would be at the mercy of the DNA test,I never met any of my biological grandparents,don't get me wrong the grandparents I knew growing up were wonderful and we had a great relationship,but technically there not related so that leaves ancestry a mystery.My fathers father created a fictitious indentity to join WW I as a teenager,so who knows whats true.

• With 23 and me DNA there is a drop-down menu for ancestor's birthplaces with DNA relatives. You can see if one or more of a matches grandparents came from a certain country.

Leaving out English speaking countries I get the following for 4 g/parents from the same country.

Poland 9-1
    Mexico 6-1
    Norway 5-2
    Netherlands 4-1
    Sweden 4-1

• IsabellaIsabella Citizen
    edited November 2020

I'm obsessed with Ancestry research, using Ancestry.co.uk and Reunion12.

I have info on about 500 ancestors, primarily in England, Wales, and Ireland.

I've never done the DNA testing but my cousin did.

@Statest16 It seems some of my ancestors lied about their age as well, to enlist for WW1 as engineers and infantry.

• I did DNA.testing through Ancestry.com out of curiosity. What I found interesting and a bit sad was the lack of diversity through centuries within "the melting pot".

@Isabella said:

@Statest16 It seems some of my ancestors lied about their age as well, to enlist for WW1 as engineers and infantry.

It was easy to lie about who you were back then