Home Other Conditions

Aphantasia

2»

Comments

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    Does anyone else in the family have any photos? Today any photo shop will easily copy photos to a disc that can be used on a computer. Do you have memories that are experienced by phrases, situations or scents? I am glad you have a nice photo.
  • verityverity Administrator, Citizen
    edited June 2021
    Teach51 said:
    Does anyone else in the family have any photos? Today any photo shop will easily copy photos to a disc that can be used on a computer. Do you have memories that are experienced by phrases, situations or scents? I am glad you have a nice photo.

I think here is the common misconception: Really  Aphantasia (at least for me) is not experienced through representation of qualitative senses at all in any form, and if you have never experience thought without representation (what most people think thought is), it is very difficult for me to explain to you what though is minus the representation of thought in your mind is like.

Physical prompts can certainly trigger recall, but it is doesn't mean those memories are represented in the "mind's eye", or with any sensory related abstract at a hight or lo level.

I would class my thought as information, maybe at a stretch a language or sorts, but without the language being spoken or heard or seen or read.

I can absolutely recognise smells, and I can recognise landmarks. I cannot explain to you how I do this, I'm not even sure how.
  • BenderBender Citizen
    verity said:
    Teach51 said:

I think here is the common misconception: Really  Aphantasia (at least for me) is not experienced through representation of qualitative senses at all in any form, and if you have never experience thought without representation (what most people think thought is), it is very difficult for me to explain to you what though is minus the representation of thought in your mind is like.

Physical prompts can certainly trigger recall, but it is doesn't mean those memories are represented in the "mind's eye", or with any sensory related abstract at a hight or lo level.

I would class my thought as information, maybe at a stretch a language or sorts, but without the language being spoken or heard or seen or read.

I can absolutely recognise smells, and I can recognise landmarks. I cannot explain to you how I do this, I'm not even sure how.
    This is A LOT how it works for me too, and you described it much better than I could have.

I can form/see images in my head but they seem to be much more... vague? than for others, and I usually have to make a deliberate effort to do so. My memories don't look like a short movie or sequence of images in my head, but my dreams are. I also rely often on smells and other sensations to navigate my environment. Sound and smell are strong memory triggers for me.

My thoughts are almost always abstract, I can't even imagine what it's like to get them as images. Mine are also much closer to language without actually being language. I'm glad someone understands because it's indeed very hard to explain.

And I don't have an "inner voice/monologue" when I think or read - not sure if this is related or not.

Actually, until I read this, I didn't even realise how strong this is, I just didn't consider myself a "visual" person. 
  • Bender said:

And I don't have an "inner voice/monologue" when I think or read - not sure if this is related or not.

I always struggle with the inner voice/monologue question. If I read or type  the words  form in my head , but  when not doing that  there's no running monologue going on in my head.

• BenderBender Citizen
    Bender said:

I always struggle with the inner voice/monologue question. If I read or type  the words  form in my head , but  when not doing that  there's no running monologue going on in my head.

Can you hear a "voice" in your head while reading or you just get the meaning of words and sentences? I can hear my voice in my head only if I make a deliberate decision to and it slows down my reading speed.
  •  I can't really describe it as a 'voice' in a 'physical person talking to you way'. It's just what I'm typing  simultaneously occurring in my head.
  • Lost_DragonLost_Dragon Citizen, Member
    edited August 2021
    Hylian said:

I don't have aphantasia, but one of my friends said he couldn't visualize anything. At all.

He's an artist, so that resulted in an interesting conversation about how he draws without being able to visualize his work.

I find artists like this interesting and I follow the work of a couple of artists who have aphantasia but still create amazing work. Personally, visualisation is a big part of my creative process. Often when I am unsure of what to create, I'll put on some music (typically instrumental) and skip the tracks until I land on a song that has the right atmosphere / vibe. For me, music is intrinsically linked to emotion and visual imagery. They are one and the same in my mind. I either visualise in the form of animation (since I watch a lot of animatics and it's an interest of mine) or live-action type imagery depending on the music. 

When I find the right track, I can see what my art could look like and how it is going to feel. I know what colours I associate with it.  So I write notes making a brief overview of the project. Then I look for references to base my work on. 

I also have hyperphantasia, like @Teach51. My mind's eye is vivid and can be called on demand but it can also occur when I do not call it. This is unfortunate when someone is describing something horrible and I unintentionally imagine it. I can switch it off when I need to concentrate, but if I let my mind wander then I will likely visualise my thoughts. 
  • I found the video illuminating and scary. I never knew what I was missing visually. 

On the other hand, perhaps this is the reason I have weathered so many traumatic events and can still move on.

verity’s explanation is similar to my experience; it is so hard to put into words.

When I close my eyes, it is very dark but not pure solid black. There are ghostly essences, usually some form of gray, but occasionally some flashes of purple or green or blue. They move around and fade and disappear and reappear. But it is all insubstantial.