Home Introductions

Common European Magpie.

Hello.
I'm a magpie.
A common European bird.
I live in a city.
If I had to describe myself with one word, I would choose: Curious.

Comments

• verityverity Administrator, Citizen

Welcome 🙂

• Welcome Magpie. I love magpies. I saw them when I was traveling out West.

• AmityAmity Administrator, Citizen

Hi Magpie and welcome to Neurovoice.
    I rescued a magpie chick from a semi-feral cat a few years ago, one of my dogs was with me, and ever since when he hears their alarm call he runs towards the magpies to see whats wrong. They realised that every time they make the noise, he comes out to investigate, so now they do it at first sight of the cat... lol

• CírdanCírdan New Member
    edited November 2020

Hello.

You don't have to be so modest with 'common', magpie are a species of flying dinosaur after all. ;)

Also I just learned the scientific name for the European magpie is 'pica pica'.

• Welcome to the forum, magpie, curiosity is a great quality that keeps your mind alive and young 🙂

• magpiemagpie Citizen
    edited November 2020

Thank you for, I hope, accepting me.
    I'm not in my best mental state right now - drained with the crazy times, stuck in a two bedroom apartament with a family of four, unable to scrap any quality time for myself. It started to weight on my mental health :( I hope I don't completely collapse this time. I hope I've learned to cope better.
    Life is about survival, at least for dirty urban birds.

• Lean on us if you need to collapse. ❤

I hope you get the rest and recovery you need. Many of us are in the same boat and I can certainly empathise.

Sending you spoons, and a giant bird-feeder full of survival.

• Thanks!
    I'm genuinely crying right now. Yeah, I got out of balance recently.
    I think I really needed it ❤

• Ever see the cartoon "Heckle and Jeckle?"

• @kraftiekortie said:
    Ever see the cartoon "Heckle and Jeckle?"

After I googled it, the characters seem somewhat familiar but I don't recall any episode.

• I hope you can come here for respite when you need it and be reminded that people care about you and are here to offer support, a spare spoon or just a smile 🙂

• kraftiekortiekraftiekortie Citizen
    edited November 2020

I couldn't post----then I took out the quotation marks, which allowed me to post below.

• Heckle and Jeckle were real characters-----rather like New York magpies....

• HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

Welcome to the forum!

• I'm glad you joined us.

• Hello from another common city bird.
    I thought about using either crow or raven for my name here but decided against it.

• Teach51Teach51 Citizen
    edited November 2020

Hi magpie, welcome! It is really good that you are here, and I am sending you a great big hug and much love because I LOVE magpies, especially those who live in large cities in Europe, hope you settle in nicely. 🥂

• TemTem Citizen

Hello Magpie, welcome to place away from the madness - sometimes.

We have magpies around here but also their counsins, jackdaws, seem to dominate more so. They have a screech and a warble so unique. They are very intelligent too. Always watching.

• @kraftiekortie said:
    Heckle and Jeckle were real characters-----rather like New York magpies....

I remember Heckle and Jeckle Kraftie 🙂

• They were certainly a trip, weren’t they?

• Yes they were!

• I remember Heckle and Jeckle too. They were magpies?

Magpie, living in a crowded situation for long periods of time must be exhausting. Can you carve out any little place for yourself.

In the past, when I found myself in these kinds of situations, I would sleep, lots. Or if I couldn’t sleep, just pretend to sleep, so people would leave me alone.

• @blazingstar said:
    I remember Heckle and Jeckle too. They were magpies?

Magpie, living in a crowded situation for long periods of time must be exhausting. Can you carve out any little place for yourself.

In the past, when I found myself in these kinds of situations, I would sleep, lots. Or if I couldn’t sleep, just pretend to sleep, so people would leave me alone.

I seem to recall them being rather large crows. Kraftie, what say you?

How are you Magpie? How is life over there where you are? Are you feeling better?

• Thanks. I guess I'm a little bit better now.
    It's hard, I know my husband would like me to be more active but I'm completely overwhelmed...
    I try to sleep a lot but there are 3 family members who want to be with me all day and night, not just my waking hours.

My kids got a hamster today. He decided the best part of the cage to live is a transparent plastic pipe, so I can see him sleeping as a sweet, golden furry ball ❤

• @magpie said:
    Thanks. I guess I'm a little bit better now.
    It's hard, I know my husband would like me to be more active but I'm completely overwhelmed...
    I try to sleep a lot but there are 3 family members who want to be with me all day and night, not just my waking hours.

My kids got a hamster today. He decided the best part of the cage to live is a transparent plastic pipe, so I can see him sleeping as a sweet, golden furry ball ❤

Cute. Sending hugs and lots of love. Enjoy your new family member.

It seems like you have a lot to deal with, Im sorry to read that you are overwhelmed.
    Is it still in lock-down where you are Magpie?

• magpiemagpie Citizen
    edited November 2020

Not full lockdown but the epidemics is bad, the healthcare system is collapsing, in last weeks of October there was almost twice the normal number of deaths, no newer data is available.
    My husband works remotely since March, kids will have remote schooling at least until Christmas and they need my assistance, one after another for all day.

That would be taxing for anyone Magpie, are you able to get any time alone in the day?

• Not really :( My kids have classes one after another, so our remote school works from 8 until 16:30 and after 16 it's all dark outside.

• Is your husband working from home also? Could you leave him with the little ones and take a long walk in the woods some time soon for an hour or so?