What Are You Reading? Fiction

Use this thread to share fiction books you're reading, or that you'd recommend.

«13

Comments

  • Statest16Statest16 Citizen, Mentor

    The library is closed due to Covid and I don't have a kindle,so nothing right now.I finished the history of Kosovo back in march.

  • House of Leaves, quite interesting.

  • I have a copy of it ^. I find the format too disorienting. I'd love to know the story though.

  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

    My friend invited me to join a book club and they decided on reading "Fahrenheit 451", so I'm going to try to get a hold of that before next Saturday. The library here is also closed though, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do that.

  • HylianHylian Citizen, Mentor

    Thank you, I honestly have never searched for a PDF of a book before so I didn't know how to go about finding one.

  • Project Gutenberg has free copies of any classic novel, plus any book where the copyright has expired.

    I don't read online books myself but I hope it helps!

  • If any of you are looking for any particular e-book, drop me a PM. I may be able to help.

  • AprilrAprilr Citizen
    edited October 2020

    I have just decided to read Hermann Hesse's Demian and/or Steppenwolf. Wonder if the translation is any good.

  • Lord Ravensden's Marriage. A nice, unoffending, romance between two likeable characters.

  • Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox. The sixth book in the series. Not my favourite out of the books so far, but entertaining enough. Fantasy action-based story about a boy genius going on misadventures with elves, pixies, dwarfs and centaurs involved. Don't talk to me about the film. Shh. I'm pretending it doesn't exist.

  • Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

    Moll Flanders, Daniel Defoe.

  • Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

  • Mad Magazine. 🙃

  • Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

    Finished Moll Flanders last night. The next items on my list are Beckett's Waiting for Godot and Tolstoy's Kreutzer Sonata

  • Moll Flanders...a classic!

  • @Prometheus81 said:
    Finished Moll Flanders last night. The next items on my list are Beckett's Waiting for Godot and Tolstoy's Kreutzer Sonata

    My future sheepdog will be named Godot, because I've been waiting for him since I was six.

  • Sheepdogs are nice and they care about you.

    Eliot’s “Prufrock,” at one point, depicted a cat cleaning his/her self.

  • @Prometheus81 said:
    Finished Moll Flanders last night. The next items on my list are Beckett's Waiting for Godot and Tolstoy's Kreutzer Sonata

    Two of my favourite books.

  • Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

    @Bender said:

    @Prometheus81 said:
    Finished Moll Flanders last night. The next items on my list are Beckett's Waiting for Godot and Tolstoy's Kreutzer Sonata

    Two of my favourite books.

    I have a relatively free weekend and they're both short books, so with any luck I can finish them both. If I manage it, I'll perhaps post a brief summary of my thoughts.

  • @Prometheus81 said:

    @Bender said:

    @Prometheus81 said:
    Finished Moll Flanders last night. The next items on my list are Beckett's Waiting for Godot and Tolstoy's Kreutzer Sonata

    Two of my favourite books.

    I have a relatively free weekend and they're both short books, so with any luck I can finish them both. If I manage it, I'll perhaps post a brief summary of my thoughts.

    Please do, both are books that made quite a strong impression on me when I first read them, many decades ago.

  • I highly recommend Anna Karenina, too.

    And The Idiot by Dostoyevsky.

  • @kraftiekortie said:
    I highly recommend Anna Karenina, too.

    And The Idiot by Dostoyevsky.

    I've read both. Especially love Karenina; one of the best books I've ever read. Tolstoy is my favorite author.

    Not presently reading any fiction, but I was wanting to check out One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Márquez soon.

  • It’s a very mystical sort of novel. I’ve read snippets of it.

    How about Don Quixote?

  • @kraftiekortie said:
    It’s a very mystical sort of novel. I’ve read snippets of it.

    How about Don Quixote?

    I loved the famous windmill part of that story, but I admittedly never finished it when I tried reading it years ago. Something about it lost me, and I stopped. I think I was about 2/3rds of the way in, and I just wasn't compelled to read further.

  • Ever tried Ulysses, by James Joyce?

    Modernism is a thorn by my side lol....though I do like some Modernist works.

  • @kraftiekortie said:
    Ever tried Ulysses, by James Joyce?

    Modernism is a thorn by my side lol....though I do like some Modernist works.

    I've read a little of Joyce, but not that tome, admittedly.

  • Prometheus81Prometheus81 Citizen, Member

    To be honest, I have to admit to feeling some shame that I haven't read Beckett before. I've always been snooty about modern plays, but it's part of a new an> @kraftiekortie said:

    I highly recommend Anna Karenina, too.

    And The Idiot by Dostoyevsky.

    I've read AK and The Idiot already. Anna Karenina was a brilliantly written but spiritually meretricious work, or at least Tolstoy later thought so, and I think I agree; it was really at heart just a trashy romance. Tolstoy, later in life, disowned all of the work for which he is now best known.

    The Idiot was D's greatest novel after Brothers K, and was motivated by many of the same aims; it was an attempt to craft the perfect man and show what a tragedy unfolds when he has to interact with the rest of the world. In this regard, I think it was actually the more successful of the two books.

  • What I loved most about Karenina was the ending. The biggest flaw I thought the book had, was that the title made Anna the focus even though she was actually not a very sympathetic figure, IMO.

    I got One Hundred Years of Solitude on my Kindle today and have started reading.

    @Prometheus81 said:
    To be honest, I have to admit to feeling some shame that I haven't read Beckett before. I've always been snooty about modern plays, but it's part of a new an> @kraftiekortie said:

    I highly recommend Anna Karenina, too.

    And The Idiot by Dostoyevsky.

    I've read AK and The Idiot already. Anna Karenina was a brilliantly written but spiritually meretricious work, or at least Tolstoy later thought so, and I think I agree; it was really at heart just a trashy romance. Tolstoy, later in life, disowned all of the work for which he is now best known.

    The Idiot was D's greatest novel after Brothers K, and was motivated by many of the same aims; it was an attempt to craft the perfect man and show what a tragedy unfolds when he has to interact with the rest of the world. In this regard, I think it was actually the more successful of the two books.

Sign In or Register to comment.